About this trip idea
1. START HERE: NEW HARMONY The Roofless Church, resembling an upside-down rose, is a popular stop for the architecture-curious in this quiet town, once the site of two Utopian communities.
2. EVANSVILLE (26 miles/37 min.) Rotating exhibits; cultural, historical and natural artifacts; and an immersive theater make up the long list of attractions at the Evansville Museum of Arts, History & Science.
3. NEWBURGH (11 miles/14 min.) Shop and dine the quaint offerings in this vintage riverside town.
4. JASPER (61 miles/1 hour, 5 min.) All aboard! The Spirit of Jasper train traverses scenic countryside and several trestles and bridges on its way to luxury resort French Lick.
5. BIRDSEYE (18 miles/24 min.) The 8,800-acre Patoka Lake, stocked with bass, bluegill, catfish and more, is an angler’s dream. Boats can be rented from two marinas.
6. LINCOLN CITY (37 miles/45 min.) Learn about Honest Abe’s childhood, family and frontier life in Indiana, and visit a living historical farm at the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial.
7. TELL CITY (24 miles/34 min.) Set up in a former machine shop, Tell City Pour Haus serves 40-plus draft beers, including several house brews.
8. LEAVENWORTH (45 miles/54 min.) After renovations, Wyandotte Caves, managed by O’Bannon Woods State Park, have reopened with two tour options—one easy, one rugged.
9. CORYDON (11 miles/15 min.) Go back in time at the Corydon Capitol State Historic Site, where the foundation of Indiana was laid. Tour the original capitol building and several early-1800s structures.
10. NEW ALBANY (21 miles/ 24 min.) A former hotel, Brooklyn and the Butcher is now a luxe but laidback steakhouse. Cuts of meat rule the menu, but save room for the chef’s housemade ice cream. Not ready to leave? Check out the (shhh!) basement speakeasy.
11. JEFFERSONVILLE (8 miles/16 min.) Walk or bike across the one-mile Big Four Pedestrian and Cycling Bridge, a popular path that connects you to Louisville. Extend your journey by hopping on the Ohio River Greenway and exploring alongside the waterway.