About this trip idea
1. START HERE: VINCENNES Tour Grouseland, the elegant home of William Henry Harrison, who served as the Indiana Territory’s first governor and the country’s ninth president.
2. MITCHELL 63 miles/1 hour, 24 min.) Try to spot the endangered blind cavefish during a cave trip and wander through 20 buildings in Pioneer Village at Spring Mill State Park.
3. BLOOMINGTON (37 miles/50 min.) The Arboretum, Beck Chapel, the Sample Gates and the Lilly Library, home to rare books and manuscripts, are worthy stops on a stroll through the tree-heavy campus of Indiana University.
4. MULTIPLE CITIES (time and mileage vary) Hit the scenic ArtsRoad 46, a winding stretch that connects Bloomington, Nashville and Columbus, to explore visual arts, culinary treasures, live entertainment and festivals and special events.
5. BLOOMINGTON (1 mile/4 min.) Since 1973, Janko’s Little Zagreb has been a go-to for steaks—especially when families are celebrating a graduation.
6. NASHVILLE (13 miles/26 min.) The works of Impressionist painter T.C. Steele; the restored gardens of his wife, Selma; and various hiking trails make the T.C. Steele State Historic Site an art- and nature-lover’s dream destination.
7. NASHVILLE (10 miles/14 min.) Delightful boutiques brimming with antiques, jewelry, home decor and gourmet foods attract shoppers to downtown Nashville, all year long, but its main drag is especially bustling in the fall.
8. COLUMBUS (18 miles/26 min.) Design devotees must check out this town’s lauded architecture scene, including structures by Eero Saarinen and I.M. Pei.
9. COMMISKEY (32 miles/45 min.) Enjoy wine tasting, a stroll through the quilt block–shaped gardens and lunch at Twigs & Sprigs at Stream Cliff Farm, Tearoom & Winery.
10. MADISON (24 miles/32 min.) Of all the beautiful features at Lanier Mansion, the gorgeous spiral staircase has to be at the top of the list.
11. RISING SUN (44 miles/1 hour) Cha-ching! Slot machines and video games rule at Rising Star Casino & Resort, but live shows and golf are part of the fun as well.