About this trip idea
1. START HERE: MARTINSVILLE At family-owned Hunter’s Honey Farm, visitors can work a live hive and take home a number of honey-based products, like sauces, body cream and candies.
2. MOORESVILLE (20 miles/28 min.) Authentic tastes of New Orleans—including made-in-house Andouille and tasso—fill the menu at fun and festive Zydeco’s Cajun Actual.
3. HENDRICKS & MORGAN COUNTIES (mileage and time vary) Visit artists’ studios, galleries, wineries, candy-makers and independent restaurants as part of the Rural Routes to Main Street cultural trail.
4. CARMEL (mileage and time vary) The stately Palladium anchors a performing-arts complex that hosts concerts, musicals and plays.
5. NOBLESVILLE (11 miles/26 min.) Antiques stores, clothing boutiques, gift shops and restaurants and cafes fill the streets surrounding Noblesville’s towering courthouse.
6. FORTVILLE (14 miles/24 min.) Refuel at Foxgardin Kitchen & Ale, which serves punched-up pub grub and entrees reflecting in-season ingredients. Visit the second-level whiskey lounge.
7. SHELBYVILLE (27 miles/40 min.) Press your luck in the Vegas- style atmosphere at Indiana Grand Racing & Casino, offering more than 2,200 slots and e-table games.
8. FRANKLIN (20 miles/30 min.) Catch a holiday comedy or an ’80s cult classic at the Historic Artcraft Theatre, a renovated gem built in 1922 as a Vaudeville house.
9. INDIANAPOLIS (26 miles/31 min.) Tour the handsomely restored Italianate mansion of the country’s 23rd president at the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site to see period furniture, political memorabilia and the annual exhibit. Manicured gardens add to the experience.
10. INDIANAPOLIS (3 miles/10 min.) View giant apes up close in the lauded Simon Skjodt International Orangutan Center, ooh and ahh over adorable meerkats and watch dolphins glide by as you stand in an underwater dome at the Indianapolis Zoo.
11. INDIANAPOLIS (mileage and time vary) Walk, jog or bike along the eight-mile Indianapolis Cultural Trail . It connects pedestrians to the city’s most popular neighborhoods and attractions, and has earned praise from city planners worldwide.