Old Cathedral Complex
The Old Cathedral Complex consists of the Basilica of St. Francis Xavier and French & Indian cemetery. The current "Old Cathedral" was built in 1826, and stands on the site of three previous churches. The first was a crude log structure built about 1732, where the first Catholic parish in Indiana was formed. Four bishops are buried in the crypt of the current Cathedral, and the adjoining cemetery is the final resting place of over 4,000 early citizens of Vincennes. Located behind the Old Cathedral, this is the oldest library in Indiana containing ten thousand rare volumes and documents dating back to 1319. Artifacts on display include prehistoric stone tools, 18th and 19th century maps and paintings, Governor William Henry Harrison's peace pipe, Shawnee Warrior Tecumseh's war club, various chalices, Abraham Lincoln's campaign banner and many other items too numerous to mention.