Lane Place was built for Henry S. Lane in 1845 in what is now called the Elston Grove Historic District. Lane represented Montgomery County as state representative, U.S. congressman, state governor and U.S. senator. His stature as chairman of the National Republican Convention in 1856 helped secure the party’s nomination of Abraham Lincoln for president in 1860. Lane lived continuously at Lane Place until he died in 1881. His wife, Joanna Elston Lane, lived there until her death in 1914.
For area information see Visit Montgomery County www.visitmoco.com