With its hand-painted ceilings, carved rosewood staircase, marble fireplaces and elaborate plasterwork, the Culbertson Mansion reflects the affluence of a man once considered to be the wealthiest in Indiana. In 1867, William S. Culbertson spent about $120,000 to build his grand home in New Albany. The three-story French, Second-Empire mansion encompasses more than 20,000 square feet and contains 25 rooms. The north, east and west facades each contain a semi-circular bay, allowing plenty of light into the rooms. Built by the brothers William and James Banes, it was, by all accounts, one of the most striking homes on Main Street. In 1964, Historic New Albany purchased the home and, in 1976, it was accepted as a state historic site. The Culbertson Mansion represents the lifestyles of the Victorian fortune-makers as well as the lifestyles of the servant staffs.

Go to Website