Historic Newburgh LockMaster Cottage
Operation of Lock & Dam # 47 in Newburgh by the Army Corps of Engineers began in 1928. The two lockmaster cottages were built in 1928 on the bluff overlooking the Lock & Dam to house the lockmaster and the assistant lockmaster. Lock & Dam # 47 operated until the Newburgh Locks and Dam were completed in 1975. In 1977, the Town initiated a two year lease agreement with the Department of the Army for the operation and public recreational use of the structures and the 8.42 acres they occupy. In 1979, the Town utilized a Department of the Interior Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service program that allowed the transfer of Federal surplus real property to the Town for park and recreational purposes.
Each cottage is completely furnished and will sleep eight people. There are three bedrooms - one with a queen bed, one with a full bed, and one with two twin beds. There is a full Murphy bed in the living room. There are two full baths. The cottages are ADA accessible. The kitchen is fully equipped with dishes, flatware, pots, pans, and cooking utensils.