My family has a lot of holiday traditions, like enjoying at least one holiday concert or show together. If youâ€™re looking to make some memories and enjoy some holiday fun, here are the Top 10 Holiday Experiences Just South of Indy. They can all be found on the Festival Country Indiana website.
1. The show Iâ€™m most excited about this season is A Very Electric Christmas on Dec. 15 at the Franklin Performing Arts Center. This is a live show with performers dressed in multi-color, glowing costumes that transform them into dancing poinsettias and nutcrackers as holiday hits are played.
2. Another cool thing to see is the Holiday House in Greenwood. Each year, from Dec. 1 to 24, this home opens so people can see the 70 Christmas trees, a 212-piece Christmas village, 30 Nativity sets and hundreds of other decorations. There is no cost, but donations to Riley Hospital for Children are collected.
3. If your kid loves Santa, trains, or both, head to Bargersville on Dec. 1 to see the Santa Train and visit with Mr. and Mrs. Claus.
4. Two of the best Christmas bazaars are happening the same weekend, the Dec. 2 Chocolate Extravaganza’s Christmas Shopping Bazaar in Greenwood and the Dec. 3 Christmas Bazaar put on by the folks at Saints Francis & Clare in Greenwood.
5. I also canâ€™t wait for the Franklin Winter Market and Holiday Lighting on Dec. 2, a tradition in charming Franklin.
6. And if youâ€™ve never taken your kids (or yourself) to a breakfast with Santa event, there are several to choose from. There is the Brunch With Santa & Holiday Open House on Dec. 2 in Trafalgar at the beautiful FFA Leadership Center, Pancakes With Santa on Dec. 9 at The Sycamore at Mallow Run in Bargersville, Breakfast With Santa in Franklin on Dec. 9, and the Dec. 16 Breakfast With Santa in Greenwood.
7. If you want to enjoy the four-part harmony of a barbershop chorus singing holiday favorites, check out The Chordlighters Present a Christmas to Remember on Dec. 3 at the Franklin Performing Arts Center.
8. Another fun event is the Holiday of Lights Winter Wonderland on Dec. 9 in Edinburgh. This festive event features a parade, lighting of the Christmas tree, Christmas caroling, carriage rides, trolly rides, crafts, face painting and a refreshment station featuring hot chocolate and cookies. In addition, Santa Claus will be available for children to get their pictures taken with him. In addition, there will be 3,000 luminaries on display along Main Cross Street.
9. If you like music, check out the Christmas Open House & Holiday Concert in Franklin on Dec. 7 , the Greater Greenwood Community Band Christmas Concert on Dec. 10 in Greenwood, or one of Franklin Collegeâ€™s musical performances listed here.
10. And gear up, itâ€™s time to visit Santa and do some shopping at Greenwood Park Mall, another thing I enjoy.
To enjoy a long weekend south of Indy, stay in one of the area’s hotels, B&Bs or cabins.