Start your engines everyone because May is here and in Indy that is HUGE news! It is race month and there are so many activities and events to take advantage of:
- All month long – Hall of Fame Museum. With extended hours in May, it is the perfect time to get a refresher on your IMS history!
- Saturday, May 4 – OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon! This will be the 37th year the race has taken place and downtown will be hopping all day with runners, entertainment and people! I’m happy to say that out of my three sisters, I’m the only one who HASN’T run the mini. I think I may stake claim to that for … well, ever. Not sure I have it in me.
- Saturday, May 11 – Kids’ Day. Located in the heart of downtown, this is the state’s largest outdoor, FREE festival for kids. Some of the highlights include prizes from vendors, mini-car racing, race-themed arts and crafts, face painting, clowns, food. You won’t want to miss it!
- Wednesday, May 22 – Community Day. One of the highlights of this day is the opportunity to drive YOUR own car around the track. You can also get tours of pit lane and the official timing and scoring area and of course autographs from your favorite drivers. Cost is $8 in advance; $10 at the gate and 6 and under are free!
- Saturday, May 25 – 500 Festival Parade. The parade is the only 500 Festival event that has taken place every year, beginning in 1957. Indy will see more than 300,000 spectators take their place along streets of downtown to get a look at the parade. If you want a really good spot … purchase tickets and be in the middle of the action!
If visiting the track is your priority, then check out IMS’s full list of events at the track here. Or check out listings for a free downtown concert, the Snakepit Ball and more on the 500 Festival’s event page.
Or … go to the race itself. We have gone several times. Quite an experience and one you’ll never forget. Purchase tickets ahead of time or even find some the day of! We were able to score one ticket right across from the yard of bricks!And the other tickets we had gave us a great view of pit road!So get out there and enjoy the history, tradition and fun of May in Indianapolis!