Indiana Landmarks, a private nonprofit organization that saves meaningful places throughout the state, has awarded its annual Cook Cup for Outstanding Restoration to the City of Elkhart for saving The Lerner Theatre.
Built in 1924, the theater was built to host vaudeville acts and silent movies. The Lerner operated under various names and owners until 1987. The City of Elkhart purchased the theater in 1990. After a range of activities and planning, restoration began in 2009 and was completed in 2011.
Today The Lerner is home to stage shows and musical concerts. The Sound of Music runs May 4-6. The 25th anniversary of the Elkhart Jazz Festival takes place at The Lerner June 24-26.
Tours of the theater are also available for $5/person and focus on the history and restoration of the building. Click here for tour information.