Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I love its simplicity, its focus on family and thankfulness, and certainly, the fact that it revolves around a delicious meal. While Indiana may trail a bit behind Minnesota and a few other states in terms of turkey production, we still rank near the top of the list.
Several farms sell their Indiana-raised turkeys directly to the consumer. Below I’ve listed a few to contact if you want your gobbler to be of the Hoosier variety this year. I think a trip to the farm to pick up your table’s star attraction would make for a fun outing this time of year.
- Grass Corp in Leopold, Indiana
- Grass is Greener Meats and Produce in Bremen, Indiana (email: email@example.com)
- Grazey Acres in Cory, Indiana (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Homestead Heritage in Kokomo, Indiana (email: email@example.com)
- Hopeful Farms in Ligonier, Indiana (call: 260.593.2991, Ext. 1)
- J.L. Hawkins Family Farm in Marshall, Indiana
- Pathway Pastures in St. Joe, Indiana (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Prairie Winds Farm in Lakeville, Indiana
- Schacht Farm in Bloomington, Indiana
- Seven Sons Meat Company in Roanoke, Indiana
- Seven Springs Farm in Carthage, Indiana
- Stonewall Farm in Evansville, Indiana
- Sunny Hollow Farm in Hagerstown, Indiana (call: 765.489.5140)
Please note: Most of these farms require pre-orders on turkeys, particularly at this time of year. Please be sure to contact them in advance to determine availability and pick-up options.
And in the spirit of the season, don’t forget to thank these hardworking farmers for all they do each and every day to feed us.
Thanks to Eat Wild for providing a list of Indiana-grown turkey producers who sell directly to consumers on their website. If there are any I missed, please add in the comments section below!
Photo courtesy of J.L. Hawkins Family Farm.