Here are a few Christmas and Kwanzaa holiday festivals going on throughout Indiana. Some of them are the first weekend in December, some of them run throughout the entire month. (I looked for any Hanukkah festivals, but couldn’t find any.)
- Winona Lake, Kosciusko County, Dec. 5, 10 am – 6 pm: Village at Winona Holiday Festival – Shop for hand-crafted gifts among the many gift shops, and decorate gingerbread houses in Rodeheaver Auditorium on Grace College’s campus, just across the street from the Village at Winona.
- Winamac, Pulaski County, Dec. 5: Winter Wonderland – Arts & crafts vendors, choirs, music, a Christmas parade, and Santa. Admission is free.
- Mansfield, Parke County, Dec. 4 – 6: Mansfield Village Old Fashioned Christmas – From their website: “The season is merry as Mansfield Village prepares for the sparkling Old-Fashioned Christmas Festival. The celebration includes Christmas shopping, beautiful decorations, thousands of lights, a visit from Santa, a turkey dinner and other delicious food.” The festival will also have a live nativity, Christmas carolers, bell ringers, and Santa Claus.
- Arlington, Rush County, Dec. 5 – 6, Saturday 9 – 5, Sunday 10 – 5:Artisans Fare (formerly Historic Timeline Festival – Weekend-long demonstrations of unique arts & crafts featuring Brown County artisans, woodrights and skilled craftsmen. Dulcimer players, caroling, wagon rides, concessions by Cobbs Catering plus an appearance by Father Christmas as well as fresh Christmas trees and greenery items.
- Bloomington, Monroe County, Dec. 2, 6:00 pm : Indiana University’s “Kwanzaa-In-Action” Pre-Kwanzaa celebration – A pageant-style presentation and reception. This event will feature entertainment and food, and will begin at 6 p.m. in the Grand Hall of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center, 275 N. Jordan Ave., in Bloomington.
- Christmas in Olde Newburgh: Newburgh, Warrick County, Dec. 5 – 6, 2009, Saturday 11am – 5pm, Sunday, 12pm – 4pm. Visit Santa Claus, do some Christmas shopping, see the tree lighting ceremony, and listen to Christmas carols by local bands.
- Madison, Jefferson County – Nov. 27 – Dec. 23: Festival of Trees & Host of Angels – Lanthier Winery in Madison Indiana is organizing a festival of “glittering, gleaming, one-of-a-kind themed trees” and “a splendid gather of traditional holiday angels, celestial creatures, and cherubs.”
- Santa Claus, Spencer County, Dec. 12 – 13: Christmas in Santa Claus and Festival of Lights – Celebrate Christmas the old fashioned way, with holiday concerts, chestnut roasting, gingerbread house decorating, a parade, and a Christmas craft show.
If you know of another festival, leave a comment, and let us know who else is doing Christmas in the Hoosier state.