It’s Fall Haul in Indiana’s Wine Country — well, the southeastern part of Indiana’s Wine Country.
Fall Haul is a weekend event along the Indiana Wine Trail on November 7th and 8th, at wineries located across Southeast Indiana. The event will include food samplings, commemorative labeled wines, special wine discounts, and a wide variety of food recipes.
Switzerland County and Vevay (VEE-vee) are the home to America’s first ever commercial winery. I recently visited there in August as part of the Swiss Wine Festival, and was introduced to some great Indiana wines. Now is one more reason for foodies and oenophiles (if the first group is foodies, why isn’t the second group oenies (weenies)?)
Winetastic Foods will also feature a variety of foods prepared using Indiana wines as one of the ingredients. The tastings will be free, although you can buy larger portions if you find something you like, and don’t want to keep sneaking back in a variety of disguises to get your fill.
The featured wineries will include Thomas Family Winery, Ertel Cellars, Lanthier Winery, Ridge Winery, Madison Vineyards, and Streamcliff Herb Farm & Winery.
My friend, Kendal Miller, PR Coordinator for Switzerland County Tourism, sent me a description of what everyone is offering. It all sounds so good, I may just have to make the trip 2.5 hours south of Indianapolis just for the food.
- Thomas Family Winery is featuring their Family Reserve 2008 Sauvignon Blanc and 2008 Rio Red with commemorative label along with a Special Cellar Release of their 2003 Zinfandel. Foodies will love the Zinfandel Short Rib Stew – great for the cooler weather ahead.
- Chef Ed and winemaker Brian Ahaus of Ertel Cellars are planning a menu of Homemade Turtle Soup paired with Concord Wine, Chicken Stuffed Mushrooms with Vignoles Wine and Beef Wellington with Chambourcin Wine.
- Madison’s Lanthier Winery is really getting into the holiday mood by featuring “Cranberry Grande, a different kind of cranberry sauce”. This is sure to impress your holiday guests this season. Their featured commemorative label wine is Cranberry, of course.
- Ridge Winery is tempting your sweet tooth with Blackberry Wine Cake featuring their Blackberry Wine. Their popular Blackberry Wine will be available during the Fall Haul with a commemorative label.
- Meatballs in wine sauce and mulled wine are on the menu at Madison Vineyards. Their commemorative label will be a red wine, perfect for the featured appetizer.
- Streamcliff Herb Farm & Winery is taking barbeque to a new level with a wine BBQ and mulled wine—perfect to warm up those cool nights ahead and to serve your holiday guests.